Laminated kitchen surfaces are probably the best known style of cheap countertops, and the most popular manufacturer is Formica, to the point where they are also referred to as formica countertops. The low cost, easy installation and ease of care of laminated countertops makes them the perfect choice if you want a kitchen that looks stylish but doesn’t cost the earth.
What are Formica Countertops?
A laminated countertop is formed of two layers glued together, a base, usually made of plywood, and a sheet of plastic laminate. Formica is a surfacing material consisting of several materials bonded together under high pressure and heat conditions. You can even purchase the laminate sheets in a variety of styles and colours from most DIY and home supplies stores, and attach them to wood bases cut to the size of your cabinets.
With proper care, high quality laminate can last over 30 years, which means your kitchen will look great for a long time. However, if you want to change the laminate, resurfacing countertops is a low cost alternative to purchasing new ones and an interesting DIY kitchen remodelling project. Most people who choose laminate countertops enjoy changing their kitchen design every few years and for this they are very effective and cost efficient.
Versatility and Style
One of the reasons why formica countertops are so popular is the fact that they come in a variety of designs and colours, so they can match any kitchen décor. They are also durable, resisting stains, abrasions and liquids without the maintenance issues of more delicate granite countertops. They are the perfect choice for those who enjoy changing their kitchen style every few years, but don’t want to spend a lot of money each time doing it.
If you like a more natural design style, formica countertops come in faux wood and faux stone finishes as well. While they won’t pass as the real thing any time soon, they still look great on a kitchen at a fraction of the price!
Where To Buy Formica Countertops
- Etchings Finish
- Made in USA
- 3 simple steps that will transform Formica, laminate, Corian, ceramic tile, butcher block, cultured marble, and traditional granite in a single...
- Authentic granite finish offered in 5 contemporary colors, that cover 35 sq. ft. or 16 running ft. of 24 in. wide countertops.
- Small yet powerful speaker for streaming music and more. Get rich, room-filling sound with Play:1, and control it with the Sonos app.
- The compact design fits just about any space. Put it on your kitchen countertop, or tuck it away on your office bookshelf.
- ✨EASY 3 STEP ✨ Smalltongue countertop paint kit is a simple, three-step application that will refresh your kitchen countertop, washstand, kitchen...
- ✨EPOXY RESIN✨ Smalltongue countertop paint kit includes epoxy resin topcoat which make your countertop Stronger, high-gloss, and ultra-durable,and...
- Glossy Marble Wallpaper：Color– White and Gray, because of the light, there will be a little Brown. SIZE – 11.8 inches X 78.7 inches, material--...
- Glossy Marble Wallpaper：FEATURES – Smooth surface, easy to apply. You can do DIY splicing. Quick and economical alternative to real marble. Great...
- ✪ Material & Size: The marble contact paper is made of high quality vinyl, 15.8" width by 118" length
- ✪ Durable Marble Wall Covering: Eco-friendly, anti-friction, removable, waterproof, oil-proof, protect your furniture from corrosion and damp. Easy...
Care and Maintenance
Formica countertops are generally very resistant, but exposure to sunlight can make colour fade. This is especially noticeable on white surfaces, such as kitchen cabinets, and unless you clean it regularly with specialist products the yellow will become a permanent fixture. It’s also important to make sure not to put very hot kitchen tools or dishes on top of it, as it can mark and burn, exposing the wood below. It is, however, easy to clean with a variety of products ranging from natural cleaning remedies such as vinegar to aggressive agents such as bleach.
If you are looking for a cost-effective way of remodelling your kitchen, laminate or formica countertops are one of the most popular options. It’s cheap, mass-produced and easy to install, but it doesn’t have the wow factor of more expensive materials such as quartz or granite countertops. It’s easy to keep clean and, as long as you remember that it’s actually a thin layer of plastic on top of a wooden base and so not very heat resistance, can last years. Next time you are considering remodelling your kitchen, drop by your nearest home supplies store and check out the available offer of laminated countertops. You are bound to find something that suits your most extreme home décor ideas and doesn’t break the bank.